Friday, September 23, 2011

Programs underway....the year begins

The year is well underway and I am excited by all that is happening in gifted education.  I just finished a great workshop and met inspiring teachers who wanted information on our programs....and I realized that the challenge centre is a small  part of our excellent program offerings in Vancouver.  So, over the next few weeks, I will be filling in the gaps and providing information about our district offerings in gifted education.

I am working with a great group of students (grades 3/4) in a program called "The Write Stuff" and we are looking at narrative writing, and how to be a writer.  I have pitched the curriculum to them at an abstract level, and it is challenging.  One of my students is a voracious reader, and wants to write like the authors she reads.  

Teaching writing is challenging because it is a process that requires time, lots of time, and lots of thinking, and lots of reflection, and maturity, and it can be very frustrating for these young authors.  


So, to build a framework, I used the book The Plot Chickens 

as an introduction.  What is wonderful about this resource is that it breaks down the narrative form into 8 rules, and it is told in a very student friendly format.  A few of the rules are:  develop a main character, have suspense, the character must solve his/her problem, and there must be a setting.  

I will report back with some student sample of writing, and the 8 rules of the book next week.  Happy writing, and welcome to my favourite season of all:  autumn!

No comments: