Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Awakening the Heart





In teaching writing to students, whether it is poetry or stories or journal entries, I love using a strategy found in Georgia Heard's book Awakening the Heart.

In her book (fabulous if you want to focus on teaching poetry) she has a section on heart mapping.  This is a powerful tool that allows children to think about the "interior" of their hearts.  I have the students draw a heart on paper, and then  map their hearts.  I use questions to help guide the students.  

I begin by asking them "What has stayed in your heart?"  (Georgia Heard, page 110, Awakening the Heart)

Then I begin and map my heart as an example.  I write or draw things that are important to me, colours I like, memories that stick with me, and my favourite things. I also fill in sad memories.  I fill in my heart as much as I can.


Then I direct students to do the same.  I post guiding questions and have them think about:

What has really affected your heart?
What people have been important to you?
What happy or sad memories do you have?
What are some experiences or central events that you will never forget?
What small things or objects are important to you?
 (pg. 110)
What makes you laugh?
What inspires you or transforms you?

I leave it open to drawing or writing or using coloured markers to fill in their hearts.
 
For the group I just worked with on narrative writing, I wanted them to create heart maps to help foster ideas for their writing.   I expressed that this was a private activity and that we weren't sharing our maps.   I envisioned heart maps to use for inspiration for stories and to help the students go inward in order to write with passion and use their own meaningful ideas.

How deep and meaningful these students were able to go was up to them.  I gave them the freedom to generate ideas about themselves to use for inspiration.

I encourage teachers to create heart maps with their students as a way to get at their ideas and their passions.  It is a great tool to use for any type of writing where we want to reveal what is in our hearts!  

PS:  Georgia Heard is publishing a new book on heart maps as it has been so motivating for students, teachers, and parents alike! Visit her web site to find out more.

No comments: