Sunday, August 26, 2012

Summer Vacation in DC and NY


I visited Washington DC and New York City this summer with my family.  I loved it!  So different than the laid back West Coast lifestyle in Vancouver.  I loved the energy, the ideas, and being in two "intellectual centres" of North America.



Such amazing learning opportunities in DC....the monuments!  The Smithsonian Museums!  The history! I couldn't imagine teaching in DC and having so many great resources and ideas at my fingertips!  I even started looking at how I could teach in DC...maybe on an exchange...maybe at an international school... 




We took the train to New York City...can you imagine being only a train ride away from New York?  I was estatic!


In my twenties, I wanted to live in New York...one of my favourite cities in the world; I still love it.  The history, the ideas, the movement, the energy.  


It was brilliant!  Most importantly, our boys had a wonderful time.  It was our first family vacation that did not involve a beach, relaxation, and lots of down time.  This was "full on" non-stop excitement and walking and visiting museums and art galleries, and being on the go.  (Now I know the boys can handle it and I can start planning for future trips to Italy and France.)

Best hidden secret:  in New York City, go to the Tenement Museum
which was this fantastic small museum that was so interesting!

Best book to get students interested in NY:  Walls Within Walls by Maureen Sherry

A great learning experience for children in both cities; lots to do and see!

No comments: