Thursday, January 2, 2014

Welcome to Term Two and New Year's Reflections...















Hello teachers, parents, students, and colleagues!  I am looking forward to 2014.  Yesterday, in line at the grocery store, I ran into a parent of one of my former students....and I found out that this student is 27 years old and is getting married!  

It made me think...how long have I been teaching?   How long have I been doing this?  Sometimes it seems like FOREVER, and other times it seems like I am just beginning my career.  How can my job one day make me think...."I know what I am doing and I am the expert", and the next day..."I have absolutely no idea what I am doing!"?   Hmm...seems a lot like parenting...just one step ahead of the game at all times.

Well, that is the beauty of teaching...it is an ever changing and evolving job. 

So, this term.... we are focusing on our grade 4-7 intermediate learners.  Here are the programs being offered up to spring break.

1.  Mind Your Math                Gr. 6/7               January 7, 8, 14, 15/ 2014
2.  Individual Projects            Gr. 5/6/7            February 4, 5, 11, 12/ 2014
3.  Marvellous Math               Gr. 4/5               February 24, 25, 26/ 2014
4.  Creative and Poetic          Gr. 4/5                March 4, 5  11, 12/ 2014
         Pursuits      


5.  Readers are Leaders        Gr. 4/5/6/7    Feb. 6/ Mar. 6/ Apr. 10/ May 8/2014                                                                    


For those of you new to our process, we have already accepted students for our programs this year.  

In May, we will be accepting applications for the following school year - we will keep you informed about this in the spring.

Also to note:  we are working with gifted and gifted twice exceptional students in our programs and we are not separating the students into different groups.  We are working with all students, focusing on strengths and interests. 

Next week we are learning about famous mathematicians and their theories.  Welcome to 2014!




No comments: