Friday, January 6, 2012

Fixed Mind Set vs. Growth Mind Set


I have just been looking at this great poster that I downloaded about "Fixed and Growth Mind Sets".  There has been a great deal of research and writing about this concept over the last few years, and here is an interesting article in the NY times magazine about the research of Carol Dweck and her book.

Lately, I have been talking about this with my sons and using the language that  we have a "growth mindset". This poster






is on my fridge.   Yesterday we were talking about challenges, persisting in the face of roadblocks, and using effort as the path towards mastery.  My one son is involved in ski racing, and he is just beginning to learn about being in a competitive sport with lots of talented athletes.  So we used this chart to talk about how to persevere when things may not be going our way.  It was great to have the visuals and the language to discuss how we can think about set backs and challenges in our lives and in our learning.   

I would like to use this as a topic of discussion with students in the challenge centre.  It would be interesting to have students talk about their own mind sets.  If we can empower students to understand how their intelligence can be developed, then we are giving them tools for life.

As well, I have Carol Dweck's book on my reading list!

No comments: