Saturday, June 2, 2012

Poetic Picassos

 Just worked with a wonderful group of grade two's this week:  for two days we explored poetry and art.  I wish it was 4 days as I really could have taken this group places!  What an amazing group of students.
 For their art project, we studied Picasso and his portraits.  We discussed how he makes his portraits look different....we looked and cubism.
 Then we created our own portraits.  The goal is to not really make them look like themselves.  Often students get caught up in "I can't draw" or "it doesn't look like me" when they create self portraits.
To free them up, I had them use colour and try different shapes!  Their drawing/painting did not need to look like a portrait at all!

 They had fun with it; they created interesting shapes and backgrounds.









 We used a wash to resist the crayons and pastels.
 The final product was colourful and creative:  I loved how each student had their own take on how to do a self portrait!
I realized how much I miss teaching art!

No comments: