Friday, February 15, 2013

Book Club Kids




This year, I am offering two book clubs in the Challenge Centre and we have been reading the following books:

1.  Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
2.  The Giver by  Lois Lowry
3.  The Garbage King by Elizabeth Laird
4.  Holes by Louis Sachar

Why these books?  All are a great story, and I found them accessible and each one unique.  I am also suggesting another book:  "The One and Only Ivan" by Katherine Applegate.

This book made me cry my eyes out.  What a beautiful book and truly deserving of the 2013 Newberry Medal.  My debating group is going to be debating the proposition, "Animals should not be kept in captivity", which ties right into the book.  Many of the students were horrified that in 1964,  a Silverback could be privately bought, taken from the Congo, and placed in a mall in Tacoma!  How times have changed.  

You can read about the real Ivan here  and here .

As well, as these 5 books, I am also suggesting the group read as much as possible and bring in their suggestions for our second meeting.  Happy reading, everyone!



No comments: