Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cracking open the Idea of Nice Looking Projects





I just had grade one students create their own fairytales, design back drops, props, and puppets.  The entire process, although really open ended, was a messy one!    I provided some visual aides, but I did not provide templates for the puppets, or the backdrop.  I also did not provide a template for the script.  

I know that if I provided these templates, that it would have been a neater process for the kids.  But, I wanted to crack open their learning and see what they could do.  Basically, I wanted them to be stuck in the messy process of creating their own fairy tale and making their own props to demonstrate their learning.   

The students were engaged!  They were inspired to work really hard and finish their projects and share with the group.  When it came time to present the fairytales, it was not a polished affair.  The students were thinking on the spot, and were improvising, and trying to put it all together.  But, it was great for them.  They were directors, designers, writers, and artists. 

Now, if I had the kids for longer, I could have refined the process.  But, I really believe in giving kids the opportunity to work under a deadline, with a focus on the process, rather than a polished product.  I think we learn a great deal this way.  It is hard for teachers to allow this process, too!  Often, we are so focused on order and having students learn the objectives, and having projects fit into a neat orderly box.  This was a very different experience for the students, but creative and student driven.

Thank you grade ones...you were such a dynamic group of learners.  I enjoyed working with you and you taught me so much!

No comments: