Saturday, March 8, 2014

Updates from the Challenge Centre


Hello from the Challenge Centre.  I have been away for a while because of skiing:  both sons are involved in ski racing and since January, I really have not had any time on the weekends to do anything but get the boys out the door with all their race gear, ski, and get them home to a good dinner.  5:30 wake up times are difficult!  

The Challenge Centre has gone through many changes this year...and feedback that has come my way has shown that sending out the invitations for programs in November has had it's challenges.  I know that there is a great deal of delay in finding out your child has a program spot, and the program not beginning for months and months.  So, we are working on this glitch, by reminding school contacts about the programs coming up.  Right now I am contacting schools about Parent Permission forms I have not yet received.

Besides that, the programs are running at full speed:  I just finished Marvellous Math Grades 4/5 and I am in the middle of teaching Creative and Poetic Pursuits Grades 4/5.  This will take us to Spring Break, which begins at the end of this week.

The above picture is a snapshot of a wonderful workshop I was part of two weeks ago:  The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme Training.  A goal and dream of mine has been to teach the IB program someday, so I now  have the training, and I am waiting for the right opportunity to present itself!  I love the philosophy of IB, and it fits well with the work I have done in the challenge centre.  Most notably, I try to incorporate the Learner Profile that IB schools use into our programming. So students may see and hear me talking about the kind of learner that we focus on being:  reflective, inquisitive, balanced, knowledgeable, and caring learners (to name a few!)

Happy Spring Break, and I am looking forward to working with students in term three! I will soon be showing the work done with students in the last few programs!

No comments: