Thursday, March 15, 2012

Introverts Unite!

A great Ted Talk on being an introvert.  Misunderstood in schools.  I am married to an introvert, and my sons are introverts.    In schools, we need to understand who the introverts are and give them their space to think.  Teachers thrive on group work and we want students to share their ideas and contribute...ALL THE TIME.   What about those quiet ones?

Often, at parent teacher conferences I get, "Your son is beginning to share in class", as if not sharing is a BAD thing.  Well, I know my son, and sharing his ideas verbally, is not what he likes to do.  I have worked with kids like my son, and sometimes it is unnerving ...unnerving to have the kid in class who doesn't say much.  "What is going on in that head?  What is happening...I am not getting the feedback that I usually get with others...." .   We relate it back to our own teaching without realizing that it really has nothing to do with us, but that the child is thinking, or "in their head".  

Finally, I love how Susan Cain focuses on going to the wilderness and getting away.  The link to nature and solitude is very powerful and important for our souls, whether we are introverts or not.  

So teachers and parents, let's think about our learners in a global mindset,  understand that introverts and extroverts exist on a continuum, and plan to give time for reflection and thinking for all.

No comments: