Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Reading Suggestions

 I am working with a group of grade five students and we are engaged in a book club.  We meet once per week for 45 minutes, and we discuss novels.  I assign a book, they read up to a certain chapter, and we discuss.


 I came to the process with clear guidelines, but what I am enjoying most is having these seven students talk about each book.  They discuss whether or not they like the characters, what they found moving, or disturbing, or enjoyable.  I lead the conversation with questions, and I keep them on track, but they love to share their opinions and ideas.
I assigned them the Garbage King by Elizabeth Laird, first, because it is such a great novel to talk about human rights and how kids may live in a different part of the world.  Even though the novel has its dark parts, it also has a good ending, which the students really like.  The main character is essentially sold into slavery, and escapes to live on the streets in Ethiopia.  A really fantastic story.
The next book I assigned was The Giver by Lois Lowry:  a classic novel about a world that is very different from ours as well; a completely controlled society.  This group did not like the novel.  I thought that they would enjoy how different it was from "The Garbage King", but they expressed to me that they didn't like the ending...it was vague and open ended and it was up to the reader to interpret what happens to the main character.  

The next book we are reading is "Out of My Mind" by Sharon Drapper; a favourite book of mine.  I think the group is eager to read this, and I am looking forward to their ideas and what they felt about the book.   Finally, I am ending with an entertaining book, with a great story, "Holes" by Louis Sachar.  I think they will like the story and how it has a happy ending!

Once we read all four books (before Christmas), I will work with the students on completing a project based on the books.  We are deciding this collaboratively.  I am having a wonderful time reading, sharing, and inspiring these fantastic readers.





No comments: