Friday, March 29, 2013

Resources for Teaching Engineering


Teachers always need resources....in putting together the unit on engineering, I had to look far and wide to find information and resources. Here are a few places to start to get some great information:


1.  This is a great site for getting girls involved in engineering:
  www.teachingengineering.org


2.  This is a great place to get lesson plans for teaching; there is lots of info so you need time to sort through:
   www.teachengineering.org

3.  This is a great site created by PBS...there are activities students can do online and there is lots of information:

PBS Building Big

4.  National Academy of Engineering has wonderful information and in particular, I began the unit of study looking at the "great engineering achievements" which was a good introduction for the students:

www.engineeringchallenges.org


5.  I wanted to link the learning we did in the program with the bigger world, so I found some great Youtube videos entitled: How can science save the world?  This was a contest whereby students had to submit video entries how science can make the world a better place.  Periodically, throughout the program, I showed the students.  It was fantastic to see work created by students!  Just go to the jump and click on any of the video submissions.

If you have any resources or ideas, please let me know.  I am working with grade 3/4 students on the same unit in a few weeks, so I am looking for materials that are more age appropriate for the younger age group.




No comments: