Friday, March 29, 2013

The Write Stuff

Right before spring break, I had the opportunity to work with a wonderful group of writers in grades 4 and 5.  I am always looking for resources to help make writing more accessible to children, as well as to inspire those young authors who love to write.  I was recommended this fantastic resource:


This book is created by this great organization called "826 National", which is actually a store/writing centre in San Francisco, with other chapters in Brooklyn, L.A., Chicago, Seattle, Boston, Ann Arbor, and Washington DC!

Basically, the goal of these centres is to be "a vibrant setting for rigorous educational activities. Connecting students with local authors, artists, and college students while providing a space that is whimsical and fun proved to be an excellent model for achieving results, and this idea was replicated in seven additional cities." 

The centre has created this great resource called Don't Forget to Write, which I purchased at Kidsbooks this past week.  The Youtube video is great to watch! 


I would love to create one of these centres in Vancouver...I think I need to go on a fieldtrip to Seattle to visit one of these centres in action!

No comments: