Friday, March 29, 2013

Spring Break Reading


Always trying to find interesting books for kids and to keep abreast of what is new and exciting in the book world, I have a few good books to recommend.  I just finished reading these books over spring break...

 Nerd Camp is great if you are a gifted student or if you have a gifted child because it is about this boy who goes away to a summer gifted camp called The Summer Centre for Gifted Enrichment SCGE (I would love to be at this camp!).  The main character, Gabe, wants to impress his new soon to be step-brother, Zack, who is a 'cool kid' - not into reading or science or school.  Gabe starts to test his hypothesis  "Am I a nerd who only has nerdy adventures?" at camp.   I loved this book...it was fun and gifted kids will be able to relate to the characters.



Being adopted myself, I could absolutely relate to this book!  I had tears at the end because no matter where you come from, it is the parents who raise and love you that are "your real parents"! This book is about a Korean boy, raised by Italian parents, and his quest to find out who he is.  I loved the characters and felt the author did a great job showing the difficulty of wanting to protect your child but also support your child in their quest to find their identity!  I think all adopted children, adults, and parents who adopt should read this book.


Fun stuff...a good adventure story about a blended family being stranded on a deserted island.  This is the first in a series.  Not heavy reading, but good survival material.


I was just introduced to this mystery series, and I think it is fun because it deals with cooking, mysteries, and history.  The first book takes place in Vancouver, which is a great hook for students in this city.  I just finished the first book, "Neil Flambe and the Marco Polo Murders" and I am going to read the second, "Neil Flambe and Aztec Abduction" and third, "Neil Flambe and Crusader's Curse". 

Happy Reading!

No comments: