Sunday, June 19, 2011

Things that inspire me...

 One of the most important things about being a teacher is keeping inspired by life and keeping your program interesting and authentic.  I struggle to keep on top of new research in gifted education, regular education, and technology.  I find it really daunting.  However, I think it is important to share things that really inspire me. 


 Here is my son, after a paint splatter demonstration at 4 Cats Art Studio 
that a friend is opening.  The space is so inspirational.  We were invited to an afternoon of painting, sculpting, and my favourite - a Jackson Pollack inspired group paint!

I am inspired by art; I love teaching art, and I love learning about artists. Most importantly, I love students working with different materials and experiencing the feeling of art. 
I feel especially passionate about art because when I was a student I turned away from art as I couldn't make the connection with my teacher.  She scared me. At a point where I needed encouragement and inspiration, I was given none.  Now, I am not saying I was particularly talented in art, but what I needed was an inkling of encouragement or a hook to get me going.  But instead, I had too much else on the go, and so, I didn't take art again in high school.
(I wonder, how often does this happen to students....they just turn away from something that may not be easy, or doesn't grab them, or the teacher just doesn't seem to care...)

And so, I turned away from art classes.  In my day, there were no art classes for young kids.   You had art in preschool, you did art in elementary school once per week, and then, if you liked art, perhaps you would study it in high school.  

However, when I see the opportunities open to kids today to pursue art, learn about artists, and have the experience in working with different mediums, I am truly inspired.

Any art program for children, is wonderful!  I find it exciting and hopeful. 

Congratulations 4Cats Art Studio for making art available to children!  (And finally, a studio in my neighbourhood!)
    

No comments: