Monday, April 25, 2011

A Great Article

Although I've been in gifted education for nearly 20 years, I find that the term "gifted" is fraught with controversy.   I think people think it is exclusionary. That the gifted have some special talent, are better than everyone else.  

However, I have never viewed it as that...my view is meeting needs of students.  Using our brains, problem solving, and being creative.

I just read a great article by Bruce Shore from McGill University in Montreal:  "Giftedness is not what it used to be, school is not what it used to be, their future, and why psychologists in education should care." published in the Canadian Journal of School Psychology 2010 June 25: 151-169.

I encourage those in the field to read this; it is a refreshing study on the state of gifted education and how our every changing view of gifted is evolving.  I think it is so important that we renew our look at gifted and make sure we support learners in our field. 

Bruce Shore Article 

No comments: