Sunday, May 15, 2011

Customization


I have been thinking about the concept of "customization" in the Challenge Centre.  A few weeks back, I worked with 14 students from my school, and I realized that by doubling this group, I would have a regular class size.  My first thought was "I wouldn't be doing this type of teaching, and the students wouldn't be doing this type of learning."  

The customization that is inherent in the Challenge Centre would not be possible in a "regular class", where a teacher is trying to teach a particular concept and make sure that each student has some form of mastery over it and understanding.  You don't get it....oh no what do we do..how can I help you?  You really get and need more....oh no, I'll get you to help student x who need a bit of review....you sort of get it...okay, here's a few more ideas to get you going and review it.... 
The pressure on a teacher to make sure that all levels of learning are occuring and that all learners are on task, thinking, doing, and understanding is quite overwhelming with so many different types of learners.  

This brings me back to Aldrich Clark's book, Unschooling Rules which I have been reviewing here and here . Aldrich Clark says "in education, customization is important like air is important".  In Vancouver, we tend to use the word "differentiation", but I like customization- less focus on learners being different and more on the learner as needing something in particular.

Aldrich goes on to state attributes in which kids differ, such as their facility with words, language, peers, authority, music, being separated from parents, need for food and sleep to name a few!

Then, he states that this rule (customization) seems to be both the most self-evident and the most disregarded.

How do we build in customization into our schools?  Can we do this?  I know that in the Challenge Centre, I  work with the concept of customization in all the work the students do.  This is the place to "go for it" and do something that interests you in a passion area.  And yet, I usually spend four days with the students, and  then they are off to their home school, and I'm teaching the next group.  
I do know that a great many students are getting some form of customization, or choice, or individualized instruction.  Many of the students I see are in very enriched environments, with lots of creative projects and assignments.  But are they getting enough? Is it enough?  

Aldrich then lists 15 models that are better for childhood learning than schools...this list includes:  summer camps, internships, family trips, organized sports, music and art classes, and libraries to name a few.

Often, I find students get this customization, and are involved in these "15 models" but usually it is after school.  Students I see are in music classes, competitive sports, after school writing programs, tutoring programs, reading programs, after school art classes, and the like.  These students are busy from 9 am to 6 or 7 pm with school and after school programming. This makes me wonder if they have enough time to play, relax, and spend with their families, which I believe is fundamentally important here.  

It is as if there are two sets of curriculum:  the school and the other.  How can we blend and make them one? How can we encourage students to follow their passions and really give them the opportunity to explore these passions?



No comments: