Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Flanimals






The one never ending hit in my classroom is the book Flanimals.

Flanimals was created by Ricky Gervais, the British actor best known for the series The Office ( the UK version, not the American version).

My husband was working in the UK in 2006, and brought this book home, and I brought it to the Challenge Centre, as my two sons were too young to read it at the time. 
It has never left our classroom! Boys and girls (but especially boys!!) gravitate toward this book and when they find it; they do not want to let it goI have had arguments over this book:  "He's had it for too long...when is it my turn?" or "Where is the Flanimals book....did someone misplace it?".  

I will often find two-four boys crammed into the big green chair reading the book, discussing the various flanimals and talking about which one they like best.

The book is falling apart.  It is a much loved and cherished book in the Challenge Centre.  Returning students ask for it.

Why is it so great?  Ricky Gervais has created a book of made up creatures that have ridiculous names, and very silly character traits. It is an animal kingdom of sorts, made up of crazy creatures.  Kids love the book because it is humorous, silly, and appeals to the off-beat "child" in all of us.  Those with a keen sense of humour really enjoy it!


I encourage all parents of boys, and teachers to get these books (there is now 4 in the series, and I think an animated movie in the make!)  I also think this book is good for students that may not be into reading, as the visuals are great, the entries are not too taxing, and the humour will win over any child.


Definitely a worthwhile set of books to add to your home or classroom library!

No comments: