Monday, May 30, 2011

Who is Achilles?

The other day, my one son told me that his friend's achilles heel hurt...and why is that part of the heel called achilles?

So, I started to explain, and realized, that I wasn't completely sure about the story of Achilles....was he dipped in the river Styx by his mother, who held him by his heel?

So, I found this book  The Iliad retold by Ian Strachan that I had bought years ago, and had promised to read to my sons one day.   They are fascinated by the stories, and I am too!  They both finished the Percy Jackson series, so they knew a great deal about Mount Olympus and Zeus and various other Gods and Goddesses, but they knew little of the Trojan War. 

What a great way to learn about history.   Myths are wonderful story opportunities for kids....lots of adventure, deception, violence, prophecies, virtues revealed, and history repeating itself.  I can't wait to move onto the Odyssey

While on the same topic, I also have been reading Atticus the Storyteller's 100 Greek Myths to my sons. This book links together the Greek myths via Atticus's journey through the ancient sites where the stories originally happened. It is very comprehensive and yet, you can read each story on its own.


Then I started thinking of other myths and legends from other cultures.  I am wanting to review Aboriginal myths and legends, Norse myths and legends, and Celtic myths and legends, just to start.  Do you have any suggestions of great myths and legends that I can read?
   
I am thinking of creating a challenge centre that focuses on this theme....

No comments: